After tearing up local skate ramps, and hitting up ski resorts competing regularly around the country and the world, I pursued my goal of getting a University Degree. I was excited to find my new niche, and after co-hosting Sports Saturday with Pete Nelis on community radio, reporting local news for News Geelong, and taking on 3 sporting internships the path became more clear: sport media, with its combination of action, excitement and spontaneity. In what began as an assignment for Uni; an exploration into the lives, loves and views of a diverse selection of inspiring characters in the media, sports media and sporting industries, felt natural to continue, as a media folio to showcase all I've been getting up to. I love discussion, delving deeper, and finding out stories within. I hope you enjoy checking it out, as much as I'm loving the journey.

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Interview with Tim Myers

I met Tim Myers whilst snowboarding at Perisher Ski Resort in NSW. He is an extremely skilled skier, stunt-man and camera-man.



Tim currently works for Channel Nine News and The Today Show, and also directs the One Hit Wonder Down Under Big Air Event at Thredbo during winter. I spoke with Tim about why he was drawn to media production, how he became involved in working in media, what he likes about his work and advice he has for potential media workers.


Click here to listen to part one of Tim's interview.

And here for Part two.

It was great to catch up with Tim and I enjoyed practicing my interviewing and editing skills. It was interesting to hear Tim's views on opportunities for women in the media and learn about the variety and highlights of his work. I tried to keep in the moment and respond to Tim's replies, however I still stuck to my script which may have restricted the interview to a direct question and answer form, perhaps more suited to a formal interview, and which also may have reduced the fun level. I would like to practice a more conversational style to make interviews more lively and entertaining. I also noticed I have more energy, professionalism an personality on camera, on location, as opposed to conducting a verbal interview from home. I would like to bring that energy and personality out when I am involved in on-air media presentations, such as in the radio studio.

This is another interview of Tim, on mountainwatch.com by Reggae Ellis.

And here you can view a behind-the-scenes look at covering a major natural disaster, produced by Tim and his team at Channel Nine's The Today Show.

No comments:

Post a Comment