After tearing up local skate ramps, and hitting up ski resorts competing regularly around the country and the world, I pursued my goal of getting a University Degree. I was excited to find my new niche, and after co-hosting Sports Saturday with Pete Nelis on community radio, reporting local news for News Geelong, and taking on 3 sporting internships the path became more clear: sport media, with its combination of action, excitement and spontaneity. In what began as an assignment for Uni; an exploration into the lives, loves and views of a diverse selection of inspiring characters in the media, sports media and sporting industries, felt natural to continue, as a media folio to showcase all I've been getting up to. I love discussion, delving deeper, and finding out stories within. I hope you enjoy checking it out, as much as I'm loving the journey.

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Interview with Herb Corona

On Thursday, 24th February I conducted my first video interview, it was with Herb Corona, a video maker who hails from Caracas, Venezuela, and now resides in Geelong, Victoria. I met Herb whilst surfing Jan Juc, he is a really positive, friendly person and was the only one out there smiling. He is involved in many sports media projects: a freelancer for his own media company, Surf Coast Media, a cameraman and editor at GEST Media and News Geelong, and a skilled surfer and instructor. We discussed his attraction to working in sports media, how he got to where he is, his views on new media, advice for potential media workers and what the future holds for him.


Click on the link to watch my interview with Herb Corona.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFmnVLLx4nI

I really enjoyed interviewing Herb at Jan Juc, it was interesting to learn about his path into the media industry, his views on new media and his hopes for the future. I also really enjoyed experimenting with the editing suite on iMovie. The last time I had tried my hand at editing was from VCR to VCR for a Year 11 project on the rollerblading scene in Melbourne in 1997. It surprises me that so much time has passed between getting back into something I had really enjoyed when I was 17.

I believe I could improve my interview technique by rehearsing the main questions, and only holding short point-form notes, to avoid becoming trapped into a scripted interview. In future, I hope to stay in the moment, think quickly and bounce questions back, so as to let the interview happen more organically, like a conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment