After tearing up local skate ramps, and hitting up ski resorts competing regularly around the country and the world, I pursued my goal of getting a University Degree. I was excited to find my new niche, and after co-hosting Sports Saturday with Pete Nelis on community radio, reporting local news for News Geelong, and taking on 3 sporting internships the path became more clear: sport media, with its combination of action, excitement and spontaneity. In what began as an assignment for Uni; an exploration into the lives, loves and views of a diverse selection of inspiring characters in the media, sports media and sporting industries, felt natural to continue, as a media folio to showcase all I've been getting up to. I love discussion, delving deeper, and finding out stories within. I hope you enjoy checking it out, as much as I'm loving the journey.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Interview with Andrew Deane, Saturday, 26th February.

On Saturday, 26th February I interviewed my brother, Andrew Deane. Although younger than me, he is an inspiration in his creativity, ingenuity, his can-do-anything attitude, his board skills and is downright honest personality. He has a fascination with media, is a skilled photographer, board rider and the owner and maker of Australia's only wood wake-skate company Frontier Wakeskates.



We spoke about what drew him to photography and digital video, the freedom and ease new media technologies enable in terms of creativity and timely exposure, the benefits underground sports may experience in terms of growth and progression, the advantages a smaller grassroots company can have over larger brands and I also found out more about his latest project.



Click here to view Part One of my interview with Deano.


And here for Part Two.


I really enjoyed interviewing my brother as I wasn't nervous, but perhaps being so close to the subject caused me to use a more casual technique. I discovered some interesting views on sports media and I loved being on location filming. And although allowing my subject to speak without unnecessary input from the interviewer, I realised my technique could be more energetic, involved and fun. I also plan to save up for a camera that can take better quality footage, and learn more about video editing and compressing, perhaps via a course at Gordon Tafe, or via online tutorials and practice.

Here are a couple more clips, filmed and edited by Deano, on wakeskating in Melbourne and Frontier Wakeskates.

No comments:

Post a Comment