After tearing up local skate ramps, and hitting up ski resorts competing regularly around the country and the world, I pursued my goal of getting a University Degree. I was excited to find my new niche, and after co-hosting Sports Saturday with Pete Nelis on community radio, reporting local news for News Geelong, and taking on 3 sporting internships the path became more clear: sport media, with its combination of action, excitement and spontaneity. In what began as an assignment for Uni; an exploration into the lives, loves and views of a diverse selection of inspiring characters in the media, sports media and sporting industries, felt natural to continue, as a media folio to showcase all I've been getting up to. I love discussion, delving deeper, and finding out stories within. I hope you enjoy checking it out, as much as I'm loving the journey.

Monday, February 28, 2011

Interview with Gary Dalton



Gary Dalton is the Station Coordinator and Program Manager for 94.7 The Pulse, Geelong's only community radio station. Gary had not planned to work in radio, but found it to be a natural progression from his background in researching, interviewing and music. I met Gary last year after visiting the Pulse to see about volunteer opportunities. Gary had the time to chat and now we co-present and produce a weekly gardening show with Paul Buttigieg of the Geelong Bonsai Club, every Saturday morning at 10am. It has been an awesome opportunity to learn first-hand about radio and practice my on-air skills.



I spoke with Gary recently about his path into the radio industry, the diversity of work in radio, the importance of listening, advice he has for getting into the industry, interviewing techniques
and his hopes for the future of 94.7 the Pulse.


Click here to listen to Part 1 of my interview with Gary.
And here for Part 2.

I enjoyed the interview with Gary as I had prepared well by mentally rehearsing what I would ask, and planned to ask questions that flow on from one another as the conversation progressed, as opposed to being bound by my own script. We conducted the interview in the studio after the live broadcast of the 'Dig It' show, so it was a relaxed atmosphere and we were warmed up. It was interesting to hear about Gary's views on the importance of ears over voice, his advice for mirroring guests formalities for interviews and thinking ahead. I thought I was more responsive and quick in my role as interviewer than the other interviews I had conducted, however I still had a few ums, hms and ahs, so I plan on learning some better responses and quick-thinking techniques.

No comments:

Post a Comment